Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's been great, but goodbye 2008

It's New Year's Eve. It's time to reminisce. It's time for countdowns and highlights and top ten lists from the year coming to a close. And it's time for parties. Jules at The Roost is doing all of that on her blog. She's hosting a picture party and is my inspiration today.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of 2008 not so much because the photography is good, but rather because of the memories they invoke. And actually, the first two are not really photographs, but they highlight some outstanding 2008 moments for me. The other 8 are just some special memories.

1. Ella Minnow Pea:
I read a lot of books, but not much fiction. This little book was an exceptional exception. Ella Minnow Pea is a satirical "novel in letters" that had me laughing out loud.

2. Mamma Mia:

We don't go to the theatre to see many movies. We usually wait for the DVD. However, when our travel plans fell through one weekend, we ended up at the theatre to see Mamma Mia! Again, not typically the type of movie we go to see and not one the best movies I've ever seen, but, oh, how it made me want to laugh and sing and dance! Not many things do that for me. I still laugh every time I think about Pierce Brosnon singing "SOS."

3. The Man with the Camera:

You know who is always missing from all the photos? The man with the camera. We had a big anniversary celebration at church back in October. I took my camera that day, and this is the ONLY photo I took. I love it because there are never any pictures of him - He's always behind the camera. He, of course, took several hundred photos that day. (and he wasn't in a single one of them!). He does excellent work. He's the one linked on my sidebar.

4. The Birthday Cake:

My absolute favorite, plain pound cake made from scratch by my absolute favorite, anything-but-plain husband. Yum. It's one of those memories I can smell.

5. A Friendship Garden:

Phyllis and Laney delivered this little garden to my office and made me feel so special. It was so thoughtful and warmed my heart so. You can read about it here.

6. More Friendship and a little Fiesta:

The Christmas Tree Fiesta plates are the best gift ever from the best friend ever. She loves Jesus and it shows in everything she does!

7. Mom and Dad: This picture was taken during a summer visit to their house (we live 3 hours apart). Smiles, pink cheeks, plaids, and polka dots.

8. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - no, wait, it's the CAT that's hot, not the roof...
I love this picture because for one, Marbles is quite camera shy and often runs away even before she hears the shutter click. Two, even if we do get a picture of her, it's never of her belly. She's a little modest about that too. The look on her face here just seems to say, "It's July and I'm wearing a fur coat. Leave me alone while I try to cool it all off."


9. Hillbilly Sisters:In July I went to a different time zone to sister #1's house to celebrate sister #2's 50th birthday. Of course there was cake. And all three of us brought presents for each other. Hillbilly teeth was one of them. We laughed so hard at this that one of us had to have a wardrobe change. Not saying who (but it was NOT sister #3!). Quite a giggle fit, it was. Still makes me laugh.


10. Christmas Music

This was one of those things that I felt so privileged to be a part of. It's hard to explain. Our church joined with another local church to present this musical, which made it more powerful than it ever would have been on our own. Every song was about the name of Jesus. (And by the way, the Man with the Camera mentioned in #3 took this photo). We worshiped and praised Jesus with some new faces and friends and it was wonderful. I'm praying for more of that kind of thing for 2009.

Happy New Year!

Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name. "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." 1 Chronicles 29-12-14

10 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I LOVE how you did your count down!!! The sister Hillbilly cracks me up! LOL Happy New Year, Girl! :)

Brooke said...

i love the "friendship garden" idea! :)

Jenny said...

What a great husband - photographer and baker. My kind of guy. Love your countdown and those hillbilly teeth are hilarious. I need to find a set. Happy New Year!

Dana and Daisy said...

great photos! Happy New Year!

sulli said...

Happy New Year!

That hillbilly sister photo is awesome!

Tammy said...

Great job here....love the hillbilly sisters!

And the thought of Pierce Brosnan singing still makes me cringe, otherwise I LOVED Mamma Mia.

Happy New Year

Lisa said...

Happy New Year! I love the picture of your beautiful parents...you are so lucky!

Unknown said...

All of your pictures are beautiful, but my most favorite is the one of your mom and dad. They are beautiful : ). Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

ho ho ho. wouldn't you know, the hillbilly sister photo gets the most comments! Too funny!

with love from hillbilly sis #2

DD said...

Praise the Lord, looks like the Lord has blessed you with a fabulourly fun family and a blessed year! Thanks for sharing!