Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3 Little Pigs and a Birthday Party

I’ve been on a little vacation the last few days.

Last Thursday I traveled one state over and spent one night with my Mom and Dad.

The next day after that, Sister #2 (who lives nearby Mom & Dad) and I drove another state over to Sister #1’s house where we spent 3 nights. The three of us sisters got together to celebrate a milestone birthday for #2. (That makes me Sister #3, and yes, that’s the birth order).

Monday Sister #2 and I drove back to Mom & Dad’s where I spent another night.

I finally made it back to my home yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.

Sister #1 lives in a different time zone. Even though it’s only an hour earlier there, the entire 3 days we were there, I never could figure out what time it was. I realize part of it was simply not using an alarm clock or having to be anywhere at a certain time. That and the one-hour-earlier made me ready for lunch at 10:30 AM. Good thing about it, though, was that it really felt like I was away longer than I really was. Bad thing was, it was REALLY hard to get up and get ready for work this morning!

I didn’t watch one minute of TV the entire time I was gone until the last night at Mom & Dad’s. Not even the news. They were watching the Food Network show that was documenting the making Cheez-Its and I was intrigued by that. I did not miss TV. At all. I also stayed away from the computer, with the exception of downloading the pictures I’d been snapping of our adventure onto my sister’s computer and Mom & Dad’s computer. I DO feel a little bit behind with all the blogs and sites I usually read every day. I’ve got some catching up to do.


My sisters and I are alike in many ways. I think we’re all decision makers who also know the benefits of being submissive and how to balance the two to work in our favor.

We are also different in many ways. Both of my sisters know how and where to shop. I mean SHOP. I have so much to learn!

Sisters #1 and #2 share the same kind of education, training, and vocation. They both have young adult children. And although they currently do not, they have lived in the same town together before. All of those things have bonded the two of them together in a special way.

I followed Sister #2 through school, trying to do pretty much everything she would do. She was and is always pretty good at figuring out what she wanted to do and then actually doing it. I was always more fearful to follow through. Anyway, she’s the kind of person that inspires you to just do it.

Sister #1 and I are the farthest apart in age. Our common ground is being married to a man in ministry. And, it is probably a good thing that we don’t live closer together because we would most likely show up at family gatherings wearing the same outfit because we like the same colors and styles (she’s much better at knowing where to find them!). She seems to have found the key to maintaining true freedom in her life and in all its responsibilities.

Being the third and youngest, I am prone to let them be in charge and make decisions. They’re both pretty smart and very resourceful. I want to be like them when I grow up.

After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before. All his brothers and sisters and everyone who had known him before came and ate with him in his house. They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring. The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first. Job 42:10-12

3 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I am one of 3 sisters, I guess I would be considered sister #1 (oldest) I know how special those times are together. My sister # 2 is visiting in a few months. Sister #3 lives in town with me. I tell them all what to do:) Glad your back and had a good time!

Unknown said...

wow! what an incredible story about your MIL. I love to see God's hand at work in our lives. Thanks so much for sharing that story with me!

Unknown said...

...and OH MY GOODNESS...you and i are so much alike! i have 2 sisters as well, i am married to a man in the ministry, and it appears that my other sister (who she and i are farthest apart in age) will be marrying one too! she and i are also the ones taht dress exactly alike ;)