Tuesday, July 8, 2008

OK, OK, I’m listening now!

For several months now I’ve been grieving and agonizing over a certain cluster of related painful circumstances and situations. The reason it has been so heartbreaking for me is because I have no earthly idea what to do to help the situation or any of the people involved.

So, for a while now I’ve been praying for a miracle. A specific one, sort of. Specific not in the WHAT or the HOW, but specific in WHO the miracle will touch. And I include myself in the WHO. I have figured out that if I want to ask God to change someone else’s life, I need to be willing to include myself in that request too.

Well, God’s been speaking to me in the last 24 hours. He’s been using the voices of men and women who live around me.

How do I know it came from God?

Because they all said the same thing.

Before Sunday School yesterday, my friend Pat and I shared a personal conversation about something that is near and dear to both of us. Her last words as she walked away were, “I’m praying for a miracle.”

I walked on to my class where Colleen came in and sat next to me. I don’t know her very well, but what I do know is that we have a few very important things in common even though our lives are very different. We had a brief heart-felt conversation that ended with her saying she too was praying for a miracle. Hmmmm.

Later when Scott and I went out for lunch we ran into John who said he had been wanting to talk to us about something important to him. After we spent 45 minutes or so listening and sharing, can you guess? He’s praying for a miracle too.

A senior adult grandmother, a young adult mother, and a middle aged father. Three different situations and perspectives. That day, one common denominator in all of those lives was me.

It’s not my definitive answer for a miracle yet, but I think it wildly affirms that the Holy Spirit is working all around me. It sounds like He agrees about the need for a miracle around here. His answer is Yes.

Scary part is, as one common denominator, what does that mean for me? How does He want me involved? What will I have to do? What will it cost me? Those aren’t really yes or no questions.

Still, my answer will be Yes.

For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 1:20

No comments: