Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I love it. I hate it.

My favorite thing to drink in the whole wide world is Coke Zero over ice. The ice is very important. But, please, don’t put me at a table where someone needs/wants to crunch their ice after all the liquid is gone. Aaarrrrrrggghhh. Like fingernails on a chalkboard, it makes me shiver.

I love it when guests staying at my house want to buy the groceries and cook a special meal. Yay and amen to that. But, my goodness, do I really need Stove Top stuffing, rice, potatoes, AND corn all in the same meal? And by the way, macaroni and cheese is not a vegetable. Can you say starch overload? I’m in need of a big salad.

I love coming home to a freshly vacuumed, dust-free house where all the dishes are clean and put away and the laundry basket it empty. Oh, and the bathrooms are sparkling clean. I always make sure all those things are done before company arrives, but I seem to refrain from attempting any such tasks as long as the company stays. If it’s an extended say, I really get behind. Sadly, not one of those things is on my list of favorite things to do. Especially the bathroom thing. Ugh. I have date later with a toilet scrubber.

I love it when I get to leave my office for lunch. The hardest part of the day is coming back to the office an hour later.

I love cracking open a new book. Especially if it is one that has been in my “to be read” stack for quite a while. It is always disappointing, however, to get to the final page and realize I have to say goodbye to my new friend.

I love reading other people’s blogs. Then I realize I’ve used up all my time reading and haven’t written or posted a thing on my own blog. I hate that.

So, that’s what I’ve been up to the last few days. Caught somewhere on the edge of few of my favorite things turning in to my “how did I let it get this far?” list.

Maybe I have a control issue. Or, maybe it is a LACK-of-control issue. Maybe I love those things too much. I think my intentions are good initially, but I lose sight of what makes those things good in the first place.

And then I read about myself in the Bible…
You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. Revelation 2:3-5
Jeepers. I really did lose sight, didn’t I? OK, God, you’ll be my favorite today.

2 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I love this post and needed to read it too!

Wendy Leigh said...

So creative, and so to the point.
One of my favourite versese too!