Monday, October 13, 2008

WYSIWYG ASAP AYS

I think the Hardees sign in the previous post (which is physically right across the street from my office, so I see it every day, several times a day) has bent my brain on the word thing again.

I think I mentioned before about my subscription to Dictionary.com’s Word of the Day (alas, in a post about another fast food sign!). Words amaze and amuse me. It is, after all, the main way we communicate. It is fascinating to me how what we hear sends signals to our brain which causes us to understand someone or something.

I know there are other methods to get your point across. Words, even though they are often misunderstood and abused, are by far the most effective and efficient way. (again, the Hardees sign says way more than just “try our new hamburger”).

You can learn a lot about how things are written.

For instance, I don’t have children, but if I did I don’t think I would want to take them to a day care or preschool that has spellings like “kidz” or “kollege” or “skool” in their names. I know they’re trying to be cute, but learning your ABCs and forming them into words is difficult enough without daily reinforcement of the incorrect way.

And by hard enough I mean that, even after 4 years of college and having a job as a copywriter, there are some spellings and pronunciations that bewilder me.

For example.

Onion is pronounced UHN-YUN

Based on that, the word “on” might should be pronounced “uhn” instead of “awn”.

Other words that begin with that same sound, “uhn”: unknown, unleash, uneasy, ungrateful…

Oh, but wait. Those are words that begin with a “U”, not an “O” like onion.

If we spelled it like we pronounce it, the word that is the moniker for that pungent bulb that makes us cry when it chop it up, would be union.

But we have another pronunciation and meaning for that word, union (YOON-YUHN).

Is there wearing anybody else out?

No wonder we’ve resorted to reducing polysyllabic words down to a couple of letters for the sake of saving time and money. AKA text messaging.

Talk about confusing.

Did you know there are websites that will translate your words into a text message? Ahh, but do you have to spell it correctly first in order for it to translate correctly? ( http://www.lingo2word.com/index.php )


IDK


WC

Well, then, NM

Tigger started it with his TTFN. He most likely got his start at Kidz Kollege.


I too will have my say; I too will tell what I know. For I am full of words, and the spirit within me compels me; inside I am like bottled-up wine, like new wineskins ready to burst. Job 32:17-19

No comments: