Monday, May 5, 2008

So, I've been thinking...

The last week has been out of the ordinary for us. We’ve done some not-so-routine things, traveled away for a couple of days, and had a different kind of Sunday. All of these things have stirred me to think about a lot of things. Way too many to cover in one sitting. But it’s on my brain (not that you asked!) so here’s what I think….

1. It’s refreshing to hear the people that work for Chick-fil-A respond to customers by saying, “My pleasure.”

2. If you’re standing at a counter making a purchase, it is disrespectful to the sales associate and the other people in line behind you to talk on your cell phone while your transaction is taking place.

3. If you are the sales associate behind the counter, it is disrespectful to the customer standing in front of you to answer your cell phone while attempting to carry out a transaction.

4. When you attend a church worship service, somebody should read scriptures from the Bible. Out loud.

5. There is always someone who can do it better than I can. Sometimes I need to stop and let them do it. Sometimes I need to keep on doing it until I get better at it. Either way, I should be happy that it is getting done. Neither one is easy.

6. Trust is not really something that can be earned, at least between humans. Even if I jump through all the hoops to try and earn someone’s trust, it can still be lost. I think that’s why the Bible tells us to trust only in God. The challenge for me is learning to quit thinking of it as a NEED I can’t live without.

7. I love it when somebody learns something new or tries something different that turns out working more effectively than the old way. It inspires me to want to do more or go further.

8. Just when I think I can’t live one more day in or with a certain circumstance, the one thing usually God asks of me is…just one more day. That is usually because it’s the one thing I haven’t given over to Him yet.

9. I haven’t been a good steward with much of what God has given me. I am very thankful for what I have and I praise God for it. I’m just not so good at giving back. I’m working on it.

10. Not wanting to burden other people with my troubles is, in some ways, selfish. (They are my problems, all mine!). Wanting other people to know all about my troubles is also selfish. The reason for that is because in both situations, the common denominator is me. When I make less of me and more of Jesus, I find just the right balance. And the trouble seems smaller too.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:1-2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I want to know is....have you been changed and did Scott take the fan to church Sunday?