Tuesday, May 20, 2008

He is Here

I can’t remember a time when I did not believe in God.

I guess I have always known that He was out there somewhere. To some degree, I found safety and security in that. Often it was enough just to know He was out there somewhere.

But I don’t always feel like He’s right here with me. Close.

Have you ever found yourself in a tough or lonely situation where you wondered, “Where is God when I need Him?”

What about all those promises that He would be with me?

I started thinking about all this because of what I have been reading in Isaiah lately. Specifically, chapter 58. The subject matter of the chapter is fasting.

Now, I like to eat. Going without food is something I do not like to do. I get irritable and grumpy and I usually get a headache. Matter of fact, I’m getting a headache just thinking about the possibility of skipping lunch.

What I’ve come to see in this scripture is that it’s not really the fasting that is so important. What matters to God is my true motive for doing it. Or anything else for His sake. When you do it like He says, He shows up.

Service. To others.

Serve Him by helping others… and “then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “

When my circumstances are difficult, help someone else. And praise Him.

"...and he will say: Here am I."

When my plate is empty, help someone else. And praise Him.

"...and he will say: Here am I."

And especially when my plate is full, help someone else. And praise Him.

"...and he will say: Here am I."

But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel. Psalm 22:3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have observed the same idea over and over again. It's not the ritual itself that brings you closer, but the ritual is what slows you down long enough to be still and listen and experience self awareness; His presence. He never intended for things to be so noisy!


Love you,
M