Sunday, May 11, 2008

Do you drive the truck?

When I tell people where I live, they always want to know where it is because they have never heard of it before. I always tell them, it’s two weeks from everywhere.

When they want to know what that means, I say to them in my most southern accented monotone voice, “We don’t have it in stock. Be glad to order for you. It’ll take two weeks to get here.”

THAT is where I live. The small, rural town of Inconvenience.

Granted, for some, that is the charm of this cozy little not-really-close-to-anything town. It’s pretty much removed from any metro, big city life.

What do we do for fun here?

We wait on trucks.

Monday we went to a fast food restaurant for lunch. Before I even opened my mouth to order, the person taking the orders named off several things they were out of. They were waiting on the truck to come and re-supply their stock.

Tuesday we went to a sit-down restaurant for dinner. After we had surveyed the menu and made our choices, the server came with her pad and pen to take our order. I told her what I wanted, to which she responded that they were out of it. She then gave us the list of everything else they were out of too. They were waiting on the truck to come.

Wednesday I went to the post office. I had Mother’s Day cards to mail to my mother and two sisters. I wanted pretty stamps to put on them. Now, I’m not a philatelist, but I like pretty stamps on special cards. And you know what? They didn’t have any. They ran out and weren’t going to order any more since the price of postage stamps is going up next week. No stamps. They put tacky metered stickers on my lovely pastel envelopes covered in heart stickers. They were waiting on next week’s truck.

I’m looking forward to next week. And I’m looking for the truck.

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:24-25

No comments: