Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I've got my eye on you

First, let me say that I am not one to indulge in extravagant beauty treatments. I don’t use many cosmetics and the ones I do use, I buy at the corner drug store (or, gasp, Wal-Mart). Granted, I’ve looked at every single wrinkle cream on those drug store shelves. I can’t ever bring myself to buy one because they cost so stinking much.

I’ve never had a professional manicure or pedicure. I always wait way too long between haircut appointments. So long, in fact, that I have usually taken the scissors and given myself a little trim a time or two before I ever make a salon appointment.

I think it might have something to do with my propensity to fall into an anxiety pit when I spend more than $25 on any one thing, and especially something that is only temporary.

Now that you know that about me, let me tell you the rest of the story…

Scott and I were both overdue for an eye exam. We both needed new contacts and/or glasses. We were able to get appointments together at the same time last week.

I told the doctor about this twitch that I’ve had in my left eye. It’s been going on for several months now. It doesn’t do it all the time, but it does twitch at least a little bit every day. The doctor diagnosed blepharospasm and offered a prescription of Botox injections.

My first question was, “Is it going to make me look any different?” I mean, after all, the most common use for Botox is to flatten out wrinkles, isn’t it? I can’t even bring myself to buy drug store wrinkle cream. How was I going to handle this?! They assured me I would still look the same and that my medical insurance would cover the cost of the procedure. And, Scott was with me to hold my hand. I supposed with all that in my favor that I could manage to stay out of the anxiety pit.

They spread some kind of ointment all around my eye that left the area numb. Then the doctor stuck me 4 or 5 times with that needled syringe. I left the office looking like I’d been stung by a bee. It didn’t take long, however, for the puffiness to go away. Later in the day I thought a noticed a little twitch, but Scott said it was probably just the numbness wearing off.

After a couple days I realized the twitch had indeed gone away. Funny thing, though, so had the ability to close my eye. And it really is kind of funny. I lay my head back and close my eyes and in just a few seconds, my left eyelid drifts open involuntarily. I step out in the sun and my right eye squints, but my left eye doesn’t. It’s like winking without scrunching up your face. I must look really silly to anybody who might be paying attention to my facial expression. I look at myself in the mirror and try to make my eyelid move. It just makes me giggle.

And you know what? I still have all my wrinkles. Not one of them went away.

It wears off in about 6 weeks. Until then, if you see me on the street, just smile and wink back.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A twitching eye!! I remember that symptom.