Sunday, March 16, 2008

Friends

This time last week I was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Yes, it was just a passing thing. Today, however, as I reflect back on the days between then and now, I discovered that I have more blessings than I can count. Just this week...

Monday I called Pat to tell her not to come to Bible study that night. I had to cancel it because I was miserably ill. Just a couple of hours later she was on my doorstep with a container of hot homemade soup. I don't think she knows that tomato soup is my ultimate comfort food.

Barbara, as a ministry wife, has and understanding and empathy about things that many others do not. She became aware of a struggle in ministry that Scott and I have been dealing with lately. Actually, she knew what it was before I ever gave her any details about it. Not only did God give her discernment about the situation, He also gave her scripture for it. She called me this week just to share that scripture with me. I don't think she knows what a treasure she is to me because of how she leads me to God's presence.

I got an envelope in the mail that was postmarked from Georgia. I wasn't expecting anything and was curious when it arrived. I opened it up to find a copy of the article about me that was in our local paper a couple of weeks ago along with a handwritten note from Steve that reminded me that my real value comes from what God thinks of me, not anyone else. I don't think Steve realizes what an impact his words have had on my life.

I'm always calling Jimmy for something. Whatever Jimmy attempts, he gives it his all. He's a pilot and a photographer. Sometimes he does both at the same time. That's not his day job, it's just what he does for fun. Our office has contracted him to do some aerial photography before and he always delivers just what we need. This week he sent me an aerial photograph he took of a land project our office has an investment in. The project had been completed and I hadn't had a chance to even think about asking for pictures of it. He took the picture and sent it to me because he knew it was important to us. That's just one of the multitude of things Jimmy's done for me, and for Scott. I don't think I'll ever find the right words to tell him just how much I admire his commitment to excellence and how much we appreciate his friendship.

Several weeks ago Rosalind asked us if we wanted to go to a Passion Play that was to be presented at a nearby church this weekend. She really wanted us to experience it and she got the tickets for us as soon as they were available. Yesterday, six of us loaded up and made our way over there. I know that when she got the tickets, she had no idea how much I would need something like that on that very day. There was just something about seeing a visual depiction of Jesus on his throne that set my heart on eternity and turned my thoughts to the true reason for Easter. Rosalind really made a special effort to get me there and I don't think I expressed adequately how grateful I was to have been blessed in such a way.

These people are my friends. These people help me to be a better person. I am inspired by them. I am amazed by them. I am so thankful for them. I pray that God will bless their lives as much as they have blessed mine.

I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed. Psalm 37:25-26

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you. You will never know how much you and Scott mean to us.