Monday, March 23, 2009

My alter ego Eve

Scott gave up coffee and Coke for Lent. He’s done very well. I think he does pretty good on doing without the coffee. It seems to get tough when the associations that come with coffee tempt him – like breakfast or cinnamon rolls. He’s already announced that we will have Easter lunch at Starbucks.

I did not give up anything for Lent. I was in no mood to do without; or to be a failure yet again at not being able to hold out on doing without.

We have attempted to eat healthier lately, and given that, eating out is a little bit of a challenge around here. We found ourselves going to the Cracker Barrel a lot. They at least serve vegetables and you can get grilled meat. Cracker Barrel is one of the only two major franchise sit-down restaurants less than an hour’s drive from our house.

Our familiarity with it is embarrassing. We are so familiar with it that we have our own pet names for it. I call it the Barrel. Scott calls it Crackers. As in, “Hey, wanna go Crackers for lunch?”

After our one-millionth visit there, which was just a few days into Lent, I announced that I was giving up the Cracker Barrel for the rest of Lent. I could not eat another mouthful of those green beans, baby carrots, or pinto beans.

And we did give it up.

For a couple of weeks.

Alas, in my general exhaustion and total frustration over what in the world to cook and how many times I have been to the grocery store in a week’s time, I said, “Let’s just go to the Barrel.”

And we did.

In our brief absence, they introduced their new seasonal menu. Scott and I both ordered seasonal specials and it was a delightful change from the regular menu offerings.

So, I’ve failed again. But it sure was tasty.

By the way, did you know that a specialty at the Barrel is fried APPLES?

But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3

No comments: