Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hey, Grandpa, what's for supper?

My husband and I have this same conversation over and over:

ME: “What do you want for dinner?”

HIM: “I don’t know, what do you want for dinner?”

ME: “Oh, I don’t know. What are you in the mood for?”

HIM: “I’m not sure. I guess I could eat anything.”

ME: “Well, then, how about a bowl of cereal?”

HIM: “Hmmm. I’m not really in the mood for that.”

ME: “Well, do you want me to cook something?”

HIM: “No, let’s just go get something.”

ME: “Do you want a ‘sit down’ restaurant or fast food?”

HIM: “You choose.”

ME: “OK. You narrow it down to three restaurants and I’ll pick two.”

HIM: “No, you pick two and then I’ll pick one from them.”

ME: “Oh, how about Chinese?”

HIM: “Uh, um, well, how about ….”

It goes on and on.

There are not that many restaurants in town to select from. At home, I use the same few recipes over and over. And the truth is, I just need to be fed. In just a few hours I’ll be hungry again. If I didn’t like the previous meal, I will have another chance to get something that will please my taste buds.

I let it happen for one of two reasons:

ONE: It’s a lot easier and we’re both a lot happier if I let him decide.

TWO:
Sometimes, I just don’t want to make a decision about anything and all I want is for someone to choose for me. That’s usually when my brain and emotions are exhausted from making other decisions all day long and I’m spent; no longer capable of making a good decision.

Why, why, why, aren’t my side of daily conversations with God like that?

Every day God looks at me and says, “OK, what do you want to do today?”

My response is usually to present Him with a list of things on my agenda and my heart. I am often begging him to please, please, please, do something miraculous with what’s on my list.

I ask Him to take control.

But I hold tightly on to my list. I guess I expect Him to work within those parameters.

Why can’t I just say, “I don’t know, what do you want to do today, God?”

If I did, it would be a lot easier and we would both be a lot happier. I wouldn’t be limiting Him to my measly little list. He’s always capable of making the very best decision for me, no matter what state I’m in.

OK, God. What do You want to do today??

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15

No comments: