Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Idol in Me

I never have been a big fan of American Idol. I watch it every now and then, but I am not a regular viewer. I know the latest season just ended and a new idol was crowned. And I know the final two were both named David, but I never heard either one of them sing. What I know about it I learned by reading the internet news headlines. I usually end up reading the back story of the contestants after it’s all over.

I really like to watch the first couple of episodes in each season. The ones BEFORE they get to Hollywood. Those are the episodes that feature people who are trying to see just how much they can get away with, or, they are young people who really are trying to follow their dreams. The latter are the ones I love to watch.

It takes a lot of courage to actually pursue your dreams and I totally admire them for trying. I didn’t have that kind of courage when I was just beginning adult life. I had courage and strength alright, but I didn’t know how to use it for that purpose. As a result, it got all misplaced and I become a champion for things that had nothing to do with my dreams. I worked very hard at trying to find safety and security instead of stepping out into the unknown.

My relationships, my job, my church, they all become the things I sought out to protect me. Idols. Yes, idols, that’s what they were. Things that could do for me what I couldn’t do for myself. Or at least I thought so at the time.

What I’ve since learned it that none of that can give me what I really need. What I really need is to honestly pursue what God put in my heart by using the gifts and talents he gave me.

God bless those kids who learned that so early. I’m sorry, God, that’s it’s taken me so long, but hallelujah, I’m stepping out! Baby steps, but out!

Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.
Habakkuk 2:18

No comments: